If you’ve shopped for floor mats for your 2002-2005 Thunderbird recently, you probably know that mats featuring the Thunderbird ‘wings’ emblem, logo or even the Thunderbird script lettering are no longer available.
What happened? Ford recently ended licensing of the production of floor mats that use the Thunderbird name, logo or emblem for vehicles newer than the 2000 model year. Of course that includes the 2002-2005 Thunderbird ‘Retro.’ And the original OEM Ford floor and trunk mats that featured the Thunderbird logo have been out of production for many years.
Why did Ford do that?
Part of the reason is recent legal action brought against Toyota for crashes, injuries and deaths related to floor mats that become stuck under the accelerator pedal of various Toyota vehicles.
What kind of floor mats for the 2002-2005 Thunderbird are available?
While you can’t buy new floor mats that feature the Thunderbird logo or name, there are still lots of choices. Powersport/Thunderbird Specialties recently introduced a number of new floor mat designs at affordable prices. Here are just a few of our new floor mat products, all priced at under $ 100 per set!
- ‘California Custom’ Floor Mats with ‘Colorado Red’ Accents – These great looking mats are made of black nylon and include red vinyl accent panels and borders. They have non-skid backs to keep them securely in place. These mats make a great addition to Thunderbirds with ‘Colorado Red’ seat and interior accent packages: https://www.thunderbirdspecialties.com/shop/california-custom-thunderbird-floor-mats-new/
- ‘California Custom’ Floor Mats with ‘Gray Accents – These great looking mats are made of black nylon and include Gray vinyl accent panels and borders. They have non-skid backs to keep them securely in place. These mats make a great addition to the 2003 ‘Mountain Shadow Grey’ Thunderbird. https://www.thunderbirdspecialties.com/shop/thunderbird-custom-floor-mats-black-gray-new/
- ‘Light Sand’ Floor Mats – These handsome floor mats are the perfect accessory for 2004-2005 Thunderbird that have ‘Light Sand’ seats and the ‘Light Sand’ interior accent package. These mats include a driver’s side rubber heel pad and look great with the ‘Light Sand’ shifter knob and ‘Light Sand’ leather-wrapped steering wheel. They also feature non-skid backs to keep them securely in place. https://www.thunderbirdspecialties.com/shop/thunderbird-custom-floor-mats-light-sand-new/
- Rubber ‘All Weather’ Floor Mats – These durable mats are designed to keep your Thunderbird’s carpeted floor dry and provide great protection from water, mud, slush, snow and ice. These custom-fit mats are durable and easy to clean. https://www.thunderbirdspecialties.com/shop/thunderbird-all-weather-floor-mats/
- And if you’re just looking for a set of plain black mats, we have those too. Protect your Thunderbird’s floor from accidental spills, dirt and mud with any of our new floor mats.